Can UVC light kill the coronavirus?
The answer is: Yes
The coronavirus is a single-stranded positive-stranded RNA virus, which is sensitive to ultraviolet light. Therefore, ultraviolet rays can effectively kill viruses. How to choose and use UV disinfection equipment correctly?
First of all, there must be friends who think of sunshine. Since the sun contains ultraviolet rays, can regular exposure to the sun be able to kill the new coronavirus? Experts have previously explained that "the sun cannot reach the temperature of killing", so the sun cannot kill the virus.
The principle of ultraviolet sterilization and disinfection is to use the appropriate wavelength of ultraviolet rays to destroy the molecular structure of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) or RNA (ribonucleic acid) in the cells of microorganisms, causing growth cell death or regenerative cell death, so as to achieve sterilization. Effect. Ultraviolet rays can kill bacterial propagules, spores, mycobacteria, coronaviruses, fungi, rickettsiae, and chlamydia within a few seconds. All surfaces, water, and air contaminated by these viruses can be disinfected by ultraviolet rays. Therefore, for the new type of coronavirus, ultraviolet light acts on nucleic acid, changing the structure of the protein and "inactivating" it.
At present, there are mainly two types of ultraviolet rays sold in the market, one is ozone-containing and the other is ozone-free. The difference between the two is mainly the length of the spectrum from a scientific point of view. There are two main emission spectrum lines of medical ultraviolet lamps, 254 nm, and 185 nm. 254 nm ultraviolet rays kill bacteria by irradiating DNA or RNA of microorganisms, and 185 nm ultraviolet rays can turn oxygen in the air into ozone.
What is ozone? It is a strong oxidant that can denature bacteria, viruses, and other microbial organic matter within a few seconds at a certain concentration, and can kill bacterial propagules and spores, viruses, fungi, etc., and destroy botulinum toxin. After the ozone disinfection is completed, it will decompose into oxygen by itself and will not remain.
The UV inactivation time usually takes about 30 minutes. Therefore, when using ultraviolet lamps for disinfection, you must ensure the disinfection time. Please pay attention to safety during operation, strictly abide by the product manual, and avoid humans and pets during use to avoid harm to the body. In order to ensure the disinfection effect, products with multiple lamps are recommended to reduce dead spots.
If there is no protective measure, ultraviolet rays can easily cause harm to the human body. It has certain damages to the skin and mucous membranes of the human body. In mild cases, it may cause redness, swelling, itching, and scaling; in severe cases, it may even cause skin cancer. It is also the "invisible killer" of the eye, which can cause electro-optical ophthalmia, repeated episodes of electro-optical ophthalmia can lead to conjunctivitis, etc. Long-term exposure may cause cataracts.
If it is an UVC light with ozone function, ozone is generated during the disinfection process. If you enter immediately after turning off the lights, you will feel the smell of ozone. So pay attention to ventilation after disinfection to ensure that ozone can be dissipated. Prolonged high-concentration contact can also cause symptoms such as coughing, breathing difficulties, and decreased lung function.
Can UVC light kill the coronavirus? - Safeagle